Tips for a Good School Year
(with fewer mistakes in it)
1. Set up your classroom before opening week. We don't get paid to do it, but it'll save you time and stress later.
2. Find your own personal balance. Set a limit on the things you can do in your school day (call them your CANS!) and stick to it. Maybe that means leaving a few bulletin boards undone or not having a complete classroom library at the beginning of the year. You will be a far more effective teacher if you stay focused on your CANS!
3. Set up your plans and activities for the first whole week of school, not just the first day.
4. Keep a file for "back up" plans and add to it all year long. Inside should be your sub teaching plans (hopefully from subplanners:}, filler activities for centers, transitions, behavior interventions, whatever! Bottom line: always always always have a PLAN B.
5. Go to www.teacherspayteachers.com for everything you don't already have! You'll find what you need in a pinch. That's a promise.
6. Turn off your computer, go outside, and enjoy the last few days of your summer vacation!
Be well today and always,